So much burning of my hands later, Mary Poppins is done!
I did the hat first, which required a whole bunch of my organza scraps and a ton of hot glue. And of course, putting hot glue on organza also means very much burning of fingers (including at least three that have already blistered). But that said, I'm really happy with how it turned out!
The base is a wavy-brimmed straw hat that I bought from the thrift store a few years ago, and spray painted white. Tonight, I started by gluing/pleating an organza strip around the top of the brim. Then I took another organza strip, glued the selvedge edge around the top edge of the brim, and turned it under, where I pulled it tightly, and pleated it around the crown on the inside. Next I took a narrower strip, pleated the ends, and glued one end to the side of the base of the crown. On the other end, I sewed on two hooks, and sewed two bars to the opposite side of the base of the crown. I also ran gathering threads at three points on the length, to cinch it on the sides of the face and under the chin. Then I took a vaguely circular piece, and shaped it over the top of the crown, gluing it around the edge (leaving the bars free, obviously). I pressed messy ruching in place on another strip, and glued that loosely around the sides of the crown. Then I gathered a long piece for the back, and glued that around the back. And finally, I glued on the flowers! So as I said, a lot of glue - I lost count of how many sticks I went through!
Then I put the hooks and eyes on the skirt and the swiss waist, and the ribbon tie on the parasol. I didn't actually try it all on tonight - I'll save that for the morning, but each item does fit individually. I'm wearing it to a Halloween party tomorrow night, so I'll be sure to have someone take pictures of me. For now, here's som dress form pictures:
On the other hand, the temporary hair dye I tried this morning did almost nothing whatsoever to my hair color, so it is still very much not brown. I'm going to try to get to Sally's before tomorrow night, and see if I can exchange it for something better.
Oh, and also, I made both my first embroidery design etsy sale and my first princess playdress etsy sale today. And how fitting that the one that sold was for Mary Poppins!